The principal aim of Golf United is to use the sport of golf as a platform to bring together young people from all backgrounds, irrespective of their social, economic, religious or ethnic circumstances and so to encourage participation in a positive pastime.
Another aim is to improve access for everybody to the sport of golf and break down the misconception that golf is an elitist sport.
- Liaise with local primary and secondary schools, provide a programme of on-site skills sessions for groups of students;
- Bring the students together in the City of Derry Golf Club to play golf together and use the facilities;
- Provide appropriate equipment and coaches free of charge as far as possible;
- Have an emphasis on fun and skill and use the medium of a new sport to promote both physical and mental wellbeing;
- Select a representative cohort from each school to participate in a further coaching course at City of Derry Golf Club where they will join with pupils from other schools;
- Use professional golfing staff;
- To further develop participants’ golfing skills thanks to the support of City of Derry Golf Club who have agreed to offer membership of the 9-hole course at an attractive rate and encourage interest in junior golf activity.